Translate this page
Standards of Learning (SOL)
Students in grades 3-6 will take the Standards of Learning (SOL) assessments this Spring.
Federal law requires schools to give SOL tests in reading, math, and science. Additionally, state policy requires schools to use local alternative assessments in grade levels and content areas where SOL tests have been removed.
- SOL tests measure what students have learned of the content in skills detailed in the Virginia Standards of Learning. Tests provide information about student achievement to the parent, school, school division, and state. SOL scores are available for families by the start of the next school year.
- Local alternative assessments are the combination of formal and informal assessments delivered as part of the regular classroom instruction throughout the school year. Like SOL tests, the local alternative assessments measure student learning of the content standards. Performance on local alternative assessments is incorporated into quarterly progress reports for families.
The list below shows which content areas are assessed at each grade level within the elementary school. If you have questions about state assessments for your child, please contact your child’s teacher.
- Grade 3: SOL: Reading and Math; Local Alternative Assessments in Science and Social Studies.
- Grade 4: SOL: Reading and Math; Local Alternative Assessment in Social Studies (Virginia History)
- Grade 5: SOL: Reading, Math, and Science; Local Alterative Assessment in Writing
- Grade 6: SOL: Reading and Math; Local Alternative Assessment in Social Studies (US History to 1867)
All tests will begin shortly after school starts.
- Grade 3: Reading on 5/15; Math on 5/22
- Grade 4: Reading on 5/10; Math on 5/23
- Grade 5: Reading on 5/16; Science on 5/18; Math on 5/24
- Grade 6: Reading on 5/11; Math on 5/25
Please contact Ryan McGuin, our Testing Coordinator for SOLs, if you need assistance. [email protected].
- Check your Web Browser
- Review Practice Items - Math 2016, Desmos Virginia Calculators, Reading 2017, Science - Grade 5
- Henry Anker - Click on Grade Level
- IQ Interactive Quizzes
- Jefferson Lab
- Portaportal SOL Prep -
- Video Demonstration of Technology Enhanced Items (TEI) on SOL:
- Desmos Four-Function Calculator (Grades 4 and 5 on calculator section)
- Desmos Scientific Calculator (Grade 6 on calculator section)
Resources for Parents and Teachers:
WIDA for English Students of Other Languages (ESOL)
WIDA - Practice Items - from Chrome Browser
Students at Woodlawn ES are assessed in many areas throughout the year. Parents will receive a notification letter about the testing their child will have as well as the results of each test.
Some of the Virginia and Fairfax County assessments that our students take are:
- iReady Universal Screener for math and reading for K-6 students
- Grades 3-6 Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and eCART tests
- Kindergarten Math Reasoning Assessments
- Grades 1-2 Math Reasoning Assessments
- Grades K-6 Developmental Reading Assessment, 2nd Edition
- WIDA for ESOL students
- Naglieri for grade 1 students
- CogAT for grade 2 students
Our school testing coordinator is Ryan McGuin.
Contact Mr. McGuin at [email protected] or 703-619-4800 with questions about your child's testing program or test results.